I recently broke the news that I’m on the Walking Dead this season. You won’t recognize me because of the makeup, but I’m one of the zombies. I had a great time, but it’s really not that rare of a job. I mean, aren’t we all the walking dead?
We go out into the world alive and walking, but there is always a piece of us that is dead. It could be our hearts, our dreams, our confidence, our creativity, or even our faith. I have seen the Walking Dead comparison before, and it’s true. We were once dead, but now we’re alive.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
The thing about this comparison though is that if you have ever seen the show, you know the ones who are alive are suffering too. Some of them breakdown and run away or risk their lives in order to feel alive. There’s a struggle that still exists for the living, just as it is in real life. Christ might come into our life, and make the dead come alive, but the struggles of the dead are still prevalent. We have things in life that are still reaching for us and biting at us.
As with the show, it’s not a good idea to face these things alone. Being alive through Christ does not mean we will not have trials, but instead the weapons we need to survive and turn the trials into strengths.
- Hearts— “And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 32:26
- Ambitions— “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” Matthew 5:6
- Confidence— “For the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.” Proverbs 3:26
- Creativity— “And he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold and silver and bronze,” Exodus 35:31-32
- Faith— “And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6
- Love— “Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” 1 John 4:8
- Loneliness— “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- Anxiety— “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
You see, God has a lot of weapons to combat the dead parts of our lives. We don’t have to do it alone. What are you walking from?